More than once in my life, I have had to clear out my “stuff” to be able to travel or move around. Whilst this can be a great feeling, it can sometimes be quite disheartening parting with books that I would like to read again, films I would like to watch again, and music I would like to listen to again.
I have to be honest and say that I have a couple of boxes of family china in a storage locker in the UK, and several personal effects underneath a friends bed in Luxor, Egypt – but other than that, everything is right where I am now.
Anyway, clearing out has to be done, books, DVDs and CDs are heavy and not very airplane friendly, they are bulky, so not very car friendly because they take up too much space, and later I discovered they were most definitely not toddler friendly after coming in the living room one day to find several of them had been dissected and ‘re-organised’ for amusement purposes by my two children…
We are about to do another move this year which will literally mean that we have to downsize the entire possessions of our family of 2 adults and 2 children (age 2 and 3) into a 7 seater honda shuttle to go to our next destination. We considered storage, but then decided that a majority of our possessions can be replaced, therefore, are they really that valuable?
This means parting with a lot of stuff, but we have great space saving solution for some of the the bulky items that can weigh you down while travelling.
1. I will be replacing all of my books from my shelf for digital books in iBooks on my iPad.
2. My husband, who is much more of a reader than I am, will be putting his books onto an Amazon Kindle, which, if you are a book lover and like to read, is certainly a travel friendly option to consider.
3. We will be putting all of our cd’s onto iPods and shuffles and in iTunes.
4. We will be replacing our DVDs by putting movies on USB and hard drives.
5. We will throw out every item of clothing that we haven’t worn for 6 months, and everything that doesn’t fit.
6. We are only keeping the kids toys that actually get played with.
7. I will toss out anything which gathers dust.
We came to this destination (Spain) with a small van load and a car, so this should be interesting… All furniture has to go, which is not too hard as we don’t have very much.
Now we just need someone to invent the laser shrinking machine so we can shrink all our possessions into a bag, then blow them up again at the destination. That would save a lot of hassle :-)